In the first event, the July 2007 Yellow Cake Survey Spectacular and Extravaganza, the superiority of modern yellow cake mix to home-made-from-scratch yellow cake was indisputably demonstrated. Since that heady day, Pleen has saved dozens of hours of labor by using only mix in applications calling for yellow cake.
Some of the top sheet results for historical comparison:
However, important answers only lead to more important questions. The continued evolution of knowledge demands much of us all. We cannot turn our backs on the enduring question: what about CHOCOLATE!?
Thus we and our volunteer testers once again sacrificed for the sake of science. On Saturday 4 October, we hosted the Chococake-o-rama Taste Test. We encouraged testers to drop by the testing site, taste the cakes on offer, fill in a ballot designed by highly trained researchers, and witness the release of the top sheet survey results.
- Given advances in food science, there is now little difference between cakes made from box cake mix and cakes made from scratch
- For a devil’s food cake, most people will be indifferent to the difference in flavor between box cake mix and scratch
- 3 different devil’s food cakes were baked today(2 different box mixes & 1 from-scratch)
- Same oven & pans
- Same batch of butter & eggs
- Same batch of frosting
- Recipes baked exactly as directed
Evolution of our test methodology has continued. We have high statistical confidence in the validity of our results. The process at both events has been overseen by Ms. JB, Vice President, Business and Consumer Insights at a major market research company. Dr. AS, retired Professor of Marketing at The George Washington University’s School of Business & Public Management acts as senior mentor.
The BallotThe Results!
Stay tuned for more events from the Squeek's Tasting Center!